Thursday, February 23, 2012

Benn here a month

Whats up family!
Wow! I've been so busy this week I haven't had time to think about what to put in this email. But it was a great week. We had about 400 valentines day activities for the young women (just kidding, only 3) but it was so fong bin (convenient) because we had bought a ton of stuff when we first went out to shop for the first activity, and we were able to use the same stuff for every activity. This week we found 3 new investigators! two of them are member referrals, that Bo Yi, who actually lives in Tuen Mun, brought to the valentines day activity. Their names are Rolly and Sherman (yes, Chinese people name their kids weird English names. I have met an ''octopus'' and a "pencil". No kidding). The girls really liked making valentines because they don't really do that in china. They have also never had frosting, or whipped cream. (poor deprived fish eyeball eating people). But yeah, it was super fun! We were trying to make frosting for the cookies but no store near us had powdered sugar, so we put sugar in a blender and tried to powder it (sister darcey is a genius) and it kind of worked! yay! anyway, chinese people don't know the difference.
 
Yeah so remember Ji King? the girl we taught at the hospital? She's actually REALLY awesome. We've met with her twice and she's really interested in the church. Actually, on Saturday we were chillin out at the church after english class, and I asked her if she wanted an english name, and she said "YEAH!" and so I gave her one. Her new name is Jennifer! because she looks like a Jennifer. I don't know why. But it was so cute, she loved it so much that she wrote it in her book of mormon :) I just named my first Asian. I feel like I had a baby or something. Seriously, epic. I was tempted to name her after a Pokemon or something, but Jennifer just seemed to fit.Yay!
 
Ok so, what else happened this week? Ohhhhh yeah. Miracle day! on the 14th we went over to winnie's house (9 years old, parents won't let her get baptized, but her older brother Emerson is a recent convert, trying to save for his mission) and we made her this super lang (fancy) english binder! to track her progress with learning english. The only way her mom will let us see her is if we are teaching her english. Anyway, we started singing love at home, because it was valentines day, and her mom immersed from her bedroom (we've never actually met this lady and we've been teaching winnie since i got here) and listened to us sing! We were able to explain what we were teaching her daughter and that we really wanted to help her! I think this is a step in the right direction towards baptism, it's such a big deal. because if her mom likes us we're light years ahead.
 
Also, after teaching Winnie some english I was asking Emerson where we could buy some guitar strings ( i just inherited a guitar from the elders!) , because he just bought a guitar and wants to learn how to play it (dumb, should be saving for his mission...but NOT DUMB because now i am teaching him before english class every week, and he's bringing his friend Chace who is an AWESOME investigator, and will totally get baptized when he turns 18. YES! (his parents won't let him either)
 
So yeah, I am now teaching a guitar class to our investigators. I feel like this is effective missionary work. haha. It's actually crazy how much the lord has blessed me with opportunities to use my talents here in hong kong. I still am not really a good speaker, Cantonese is really hard, but i can communicate with people through song and music and it's been so SO miraculous what that does. I have a testimony god places you exactly where you are needed.
 
So now I will talk about stella a little. She's doing ok! we're seeing her in kowloontong today because it's Sister Darcey's 1 year mark of her mission. So we are going out to eat with her MTC district, which should be fun because her mtc companion's companion is sister taylor :) But i'm really excited for this lesson with stella because we have to teach lesson 3 and we spent all night figuring out a way to teach it that would be easy for her to relate to. We are using bleach, food coloring, water, and 2 cups. I will explain how it goes after I teach it. I really love stella, and i know she loves us, we talk to her every day. And I know that we are blessing her life because before she met the missionaries she was really depressed, and didn't know why she was here, or what her purpose was (she told me she wanted to commit suicide, but don't put this sentence on the blog). But Satan is working so hard on her, he doesn't want her to get baptized. But we're working so incredibly hard to keep her afloat and establish her testimony. But the coolest thing happened on sunday, President Chan (my mission president) actually came to Yuen Long to speak in sacrament! We made stella stay at church (literally, sis D pretty much forced her, it was awesome) and his talk was great and afterwards he had a nice long talk with stella about the gospel and we think it really helped. What a miracle. We've fasted for her twice this week and I think its really made a difference. Pray that she will get baptized on the 26th!
 
Missionary work in hong kong is so different from everywhere else. So many cool things have happened. We've taught so many people on the street this week, and i've taught one or two lessons by myself! So I am making progress in the language, it's just slower than I would like sometimes. This week after president chan spoke in YL he came over to our apartment to interview us. He told me that I was progressing really well, and that I need to recognise my progress more, instead of focusing on how much i still cant do. He also said that I'm helping out my companion a lot, which is good to hear. She's such a good mom. She's super smart and teaches me a lot and i'm really grateful for her.
 
So yeah, that's my life right now! I think this is the third time i've asked for hoff's email address, so if someone could get it to me that'd be fantastic. And thanks for all your support. Oh, and can someone tell jennifer taylor that i wrote her a letter, but i might have written the wrong address on it? haha, I know that's the second time i've done that but i just got a letter from christian p. and he gave me the right adress, and i think i got the wrong one from somewhere else....so i don't really know who that letter is going to in provo. yay! haha.
 
Mom and dad I love you, i laughed really hard at justin's  stories. and i hope boxing is going cool. I got your letters! yay! I will try to find time to write back today, but it might have to wait til next pday because we have to go to Kowlooon today.
 
yeah, my shoulder is doing good. keep being awesome and read your scriptures. I know the book of Mormon is the word of god, and reading it literally makes me happy. I love the scriptures and I love my mission! I hope everyone is doing well. Say hi to grandma for me and tell her i also got her letter.
 
Hugs and Kisses.
 
Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment